After the repeal of Prohibition, Fitger’s resumed brewing strong beer, and business boomed during the 1930’s. Production was up to 100,000 barrels a year by 1940. The Beerhalter family purchased the Brewery in 1944, and operated if for the next quarter century. Fitger’s Brewery closed its doors on September 30, 1972, ending 115 years of brewing on the shores of Lake Superior.
The Fitger’s Brewery Complex was re-opened in September of 1984 with a 48 room hotel, three full service restaurants, and a retail center. In 1995, a group of prominent Duluth business people purchased the Complex, and continue as the driving force behind all positive improvements at Fitger’s, which include the construction of fourteen luxury suites, new dining options, and the beautiful Lakewalk Access.